- Heart Disease
- Obesity (including Diabetes)
- Crete, Greece is a cold spot for Heart Disease.
- Copper Canyon, Mexico is a cold spot for Diabetes.
- Okinawa, Japan is a cold spot for breast and prostate Cancer.
- Cameroon, West Africa is a cold spot for colon Cancer.
Long-living Cretans vigorously walk everywhere, slowly eat local, fresh foods rich in Omega-3 and antioxidants, and perhaps most importantly, enjoy partaking of meals together. The indigenous Tarahumara run from place to place and fill up on slow-release native grains and fermented drinks. The Okinawans prepare colorful dishes with hardly any cooking and eat only until they are 80% full. Lastly, the Cameroonians maintain a fiber filled diet with the consumption of unprocessed foods.
"History shows that the human body is well adapted to an extraordinary range of different traditional diets. Alas, one of the very few diets to which we are not well adapted is the Western diet most of us are eating today." - Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore's Dilemma